Essential oils are pretty much everywhere in our daily lives as a key ingredient used to enhance the ambience of a room through smell.
But did you know that it is also a great tool to be used for leather care? Sharing similarities to our previous #HonestTips post on beeswax, essential oils contain certain properties that help to make your leather even better than before!
How does it work?
Essential oils work well with leather as its nourishing and fragrant qualities help to strengthen the leather, enhancing its durability and making it less prone to cracks. It’s also a great way to diffuse the aroma contained in the essential oils, allowing one to enjoy its therapeutic effects while using the leather product.
Do note that only essential oils should be used - cooking oils like olive oil may damage your leather instead of improving its condition!
Certain oils may not work well with some types/shades of leather as well, so apply a bit on the backside of your leather to test it out before applying fully.
Essential Oil as a Leather Conditioner
Using and safely applying essential oil as a leather conditioner is super easy - simply follow these steps!
1. Use 10 to 15 drops of essential oil on a damp and clean cloth.
2. Carefully massage the leather surface with the cloth, making sure to use just enough force to get the oil absorbed by the leather.
Your leather should become more durable while inheriting a fresh scent from the essential oil.
Essential Oil as a Leather Cleaner
The nourishing properties of essential oils allows it to work well as a ingredient in a leather cleaner as well!
1. Take half a cup of vinegar and 15-20 drops of essential oil (preferably of a citrus scent so as to not clash with the vinegar) and mix in a bowl.
2. Spray using a spray bottle (or apply a small amount) to any affected area that needs to be cleaned.
3. Let it sit for 4 to 5 minutes to dry, before buffing off any excess.
At Honest Crafters, we're all about helping you add value to your leather bags and products. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more updates on how to better care for your leather bags and products in the future!
If you need your favourite bag serviced, our skilled artisans are up for the task. WhatsApp us now at 97879271 for enquiries or to request a quotation!